This week I’ve been trying out yarns that I think will form the final banner, sourcing them from Fairfield Yarns. The important factors for me were matching the right colours and getting the quantity of similar yarns needed to make the banner. As they buy their yarns from factories, the stock is shifting week to week, and unfortunately they were pretty low on the red shades. Instead Dave suggested I try some cotton yarns, which he had a number of in stock and in rich vivid colours, so I thought I’d give it a whirl. I went for a navy blue, a rich bright red and a only-slightly-off white – very basic, very british, and close to the design upon which I’m basing my banner (below). The yarns were extremely thin, though once doubled up they seems to work quite well, so back I went to get more – 15KG in total. I’m assured that it will be enough to make the 5m x 2.5m banner!